Thursday, January 21, 2010

My first "Use What You Have"



Children are the masters at using what they have on hand to accomplish their goals and dreams.

Have and empty wall that needs decorated? No problem! Only have a stripey skirt, dotted shirt and beaded necklace to wear? No problem! (don't tell- the fashion secret is that the sparkly, fancy shoes pulls the whole outfit together!) Hungry but "can't" find the fruit and veggies in the fridge but know where the cookie jar is? NO Problem!!!

We could learn a lot from children.

Last night I was thinking about various opportunities I had to use what I had this Christmas when I remembered what was probably my first "use what I had" Christmas gift.

I was about 8 or 9 years old and of course had no money for Christmas gifts. But I really wanted to do something really nice for my mother. I wanted to get her a jewelry box. I still remember trying to figure out how I would make this happen on my non-existent budget. And then it came to me. I could make her one! Brilliant!

(By the way- I did think this dramatically when I was a little girl. I've like totally grown out of that phase.)

I gathered my supplies- a couple of toothpaste boxes, a baking soda box, a small gift box, purple silky fabric from my mom's stash and a stapler. I cut and stapled all the little boxes together to make various compartments and then staples the purple silky fabric to cover the whole thing. As an added touch, I made a bracelet out a rubber band and some beads from my craft stash. I wrapped it up and put it under the tree.

I don't remember my mom opening the gift, that Christmas but I know she was sweet enough to not say anything and she kept it for many years. When I was in her drawers, I'd see it and remember how I had made it especially for her.

Now that I'm a mom, I know I will receive these kinds of lovely, wonderful gifts from Bram and it makes me feel so blessed.

Love you Mom!

(photo- Women's Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment