Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon (but without the bacon!)


(Hmmm...somehow most of this still applies to this barely Italian girl. Must be very strong genes!)

A few months ago I was in the grocery and spied some Italian sausage on Manager's special. And I love, love, love Italian food so I picked it up. Score! But when I got home I realized it was not simply Italian sausage but it was HOT Italian sausage. Yuck! I dislike hot sausage as much as I love Italian food.

So what's a girl to do?

Shove it in the back of the freezer and never fix the meals you "planned" it with, that's what.

Fast forward to today. My husband asked what was for dinner with a look that let me know he had something in mind already. I asked what he was thinking and he said "what about Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon?" (one of his absolute favorites). I told him I didn't have any bacon. But jokingly, I also told him I still had that horrible spicy Italian sausage in the back of the freezer. (Sounds appealing, doesn't it?)

But it got me thinking, "what if I did use the horrible Italian sausage in Spaghetti with Eggs and Bacon? Would that be so terrible?" So I decided to use what I had!

The cast of characters:

Fresh Eggs
Kraft Parmesan Cheese (the shredded kind is super tasty but this is what I had on hand)
Spaghetti
Salt
Pepper
and of course...
Hot Italian Sausage!

Step One: Boil water for the pasta and cook the sausage (I cut mine up and fried it in a pan)

Hmmm... Looks good already! I chopped it up a bit more after it was cooked through.

Step Two: Scramble one egg per person (I did two), add the Parmesan Cheese, salt and pepper. I usually guess on the salt and pepper and add more at the table. Cook the pasta until it's al'dente. Note: You will need to time the cooking sausage, boiling noodles and scrambling eggs to be done at the same time.


Now here comes the part that will either amaze you or totally gross you out. You might question my sanity and never want to open this blog again. Or you could just pretend you're Rocky Balboa, getting ready for the fight of his life and end up eating some of the yummiest pasta ever. (I think you know where this is headed.)

Step Three: Turn off stove. Drain cooked pasta, and dump IMMEDIATELY back in hot pot. Put the sausage and scrambled eggs in the same hot pot. Stir until the eggs look creamy but not chunky. You must do this step VERY QUICKLY!

In case you didn't catch that: you don't cook the eggs- the hot pasta and leftover heat from the pot cook them. The first time I made this recipe I was pretty scared and over cooked the eggs. I might as well have made scrambled eggs and bacon then threw it in the pasta pot! Not so good.

This way is much better, I promise you.


Even Bram thinks so!

No comments:

Post a Comment